Who was Jonas Savimbi?
- Founded Unita movement in 1966 in eastern Angola
- Abandoned his medical studies in Portugal to join anti-colonial struggle
- Despite Angola’s independence in 1975, Unita continues to fight the government
- Savimbi considered himself leader of Angola’s struggle against communism
- He received strong support from the US and met President Reagan at the White House in 1986
- His death in 2002 was celebrated in the capital, Luanda
Cold War rebel leader reburied after 17 years